Monday 22 July 2019

Sheep Show 2019 Part 1

Here's the promised report on the 2019 Sheep Show.  I left Melbourne bright and early on a beautiful Winter morning, and it turned out to be the warmest Sheep Show I can remember. Halfway there, I felt I needed a break and left the freeway but didn't find the next entry ramp so went to Bendigo via the scenic cross country route.  I arrived in time to meet Norma and Virginia at the parade as we do each year. I don't think I got a photo of every hand crafted garment on parade but I've got quite a few of them. I was too busy taking photos to record the names as well but a look at the catalogue, including the results might help.









Our male model and his daughter stole the show, and the crocheted rabbit was very cute too.  Have a look at the front of the catalogue for a better picture of the rabbit



 This one was the most beautifully knitted cable cardigan with a multi coloured removable neck piece



And just one more garment and I do know about this one as it's all mine.  The body is in Echo weave with warp faced plain weave bands. I'll write more about the details in the next post but the judges liked it and it came first in the Handwoven Garment section




After the parade we did a little looking and shopping until it was time for lunch so we met in the dining room for a hearty country lunch of roast lamb and vegetables - delicious!

Then it was time for a bit more shopping and a final coffee.

Here's my haul for the day



- I keep saying that I really didn't buy this much, in fact I was quite restrained but I bought some raffle tickets to support the Woolcraft Committee who work hard to bring the Woolcraft competitions to us. As I was sitting drinking my coffee, the phone rang and a Committee member told me that I'd won a National Wool Museum rug and wanted to know where to post it.  I was able to tell her I was just a few steps away and she didn't need to waste money posting a heavy rug as I could take it home with me.  The yarn on the right was part of the prize for the jacket

I'm sitting writing this post with my pink pixie slippers on - very cosy and comfortable


And I'm already thinking about what I can do with the painted rose fibre braid which I bought from Mosely Park



because I thought it would co-ordinate with the rose fibre and cotton yarn, under the braid here, I bought in Canberra last year

I had time to drive over to Castlemaine to have afternoon tea with my old friend who has moved into aged care since last year.  Then it was back to Bendigo to collect my jacket and carpet and home to Melbourne.  Fortunately everything went smoothly this year, not flat batteries as in 2017 or bad accidents like last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment