Monday 10 February 2014

Recycling

There comes a time in the life of every cupboard, closet or wardrobe when an attempt to put in just one more item, risks the whole mess collapsing on to the floor.  So it was with the walk in wardrobe in the bedroom.  My plan for this past long weekend was less weaving and more sorting of the wardrobe.

First I moved to the spare bedroom so I’d have somewhere to sleep.  I almost thought I was on holiday somewhere.   Then I removed absolutely everything from the wardrobe and mostly threw it on the bed.  This included taking every garment off its hanger.  That way you have to pick it up and seriously ask yourself if you can still fit into said garment, and assuming that you can, whether you would be prepared to wear it in public.  Only if it ticks all the boxes does it get a new hanger and a place back in the wardrobe.

It’s all taken up far too much good weaving time but the end result is looking good.  Clothes are now arranged in groups rather than in random order.  There is a small pile of garments which need minor repairs or to be shortened.  There is a large pile of garments to be given to a friend who sells second hand clothes and another large pile for the charity shop.  I will probably never need to buy another coat hanger.

There were some garments that looked as though they might turn into weaveable yarn.  The yarn in one was so weak that is was not useful for anything but the others unravelled easily. 


I have 450 gm of pale blue wool/silk and 650 gm of white 70/30 wool/viscose all destined for the dye pot next time I have a dyeing day.  


There were also some wool garments that I hope will be able to be turned into felt.

     
















The green yardage goes on, and on but is more than half finished.  The cool wool scarves are going well and should be finished soon – I wonder what the next project will be


Helen

1 comment:

  1. my closet is in desperate need of the same treatment--someday, just need to get the next warp on!

    ReplyDelete