Last post I said I was having a clear out of excess paper and I’m pleased to report that I finished the shredding, cleaned up almost every last piece of shredded paper, a few are still appearing, and sorted my back issues of Handwoven so they now have their very own book shelf. It might look obsessive but it’s really good to be able to put my hand on the issue of Handwoven I want. There are still a few missing, hiding in various piles of books around the house but they will turn up eventually and be restored to their rightful place.
My warping mill is having a holiday with weaving friend W who wound half a warp, ran out of yarn and is waiting for the rest in a parcel that the post office has misplaced. Rather than disturb the part wound warp, I have been working my way through the warps lurking at the back of the cupboard. They’re the ones where inspiration hits, a warp is wound, more inspiration hits, another warp is wound and somehow makes its way on to the loom ahead of the already wound warps. I’m sure I’m not the only weaver with this problem.
So far I’ve found and woven a dyed cotton warp for glasses cases, they might look finished but still need to be lined.
The painted tencel warp which was on my loom on January 1 is now finished, I'm very happy with the result but frustrated that I can’t seem to capture the sheen of the tencel in any of the photos.
I also found a wool warp, originally planned as men’s scarves about 6 years ago. On closer inspection it’s really a bit heavy for scarves but I think it has potential for covers for bolster cushions so that’s the current plan and it’s now on the 4 shaft floor loom in a straightforward if somewhat muted, log cabin.
There has even been some progress on the 8 shaft loom, not sure why it’s been sitting there for so long as it’s very simple weaving, simply treadles 1 through to 10 following each other. The stripes are 5 shaft satin so this is the wrong side and this right side is still hiding under the beam but it’s progress.
Even though it’s the middle of Summer, the weather hasn’t been really hot so I hope to get a some more done while the good weaving weather holds. There are plenty of warps in the cupboard and if I happen to need to refer to Handwoven that’s not a problem